Back to Starthttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Henrico/HenricoTrekkershttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Intro/Intro.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0
 

The Coal Pit School was started in 1905, and was named after the nearby Springfield Coal Mine.  In those days, schools were segregated, and this was an African American school.  Virginia Randolph, a famous African American educator, ran the two-room schoolhouse for years.  In 1932 the students moved to a wooden school about 5 miles south named Quioccasin School, but that school burned down in 1953.  A new brick school was built across the street at the intersection of Pemberton and Quioccasin Roads. It was called the Vandervall School.  In 1971 it was renamed Pemberton Elementary which is still there today... and it all started with the Coal Pit School.  Today the Coal Pit School is a preschool and has been remodeled (they were actually remodeling it when we made this video)!

Updated 9/4/2011