Back to Starthttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Henrico/HenricoTrekkershttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Intro/Intro.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0
 

Forest Lodge was built by John Cussons, an Englishman who fought in the Civil War.  After the war, in 1881, he built a six-story lodge for people who were traveling along the railroad to stop and relax.  The land surrounding the lodge had lakes, boathouses, parks, gardens, and wild animals (deer, turkey, peacocks) to hunt.  His guests included Buffalo Bill and several Sioux Indians.  Although it was popular with locals, the lodge didn’t attract many travelers from the railroad, and was later turned into a boarding house and then into apartments.  The land became forested again and the building fell into disrepair.  It was finally demolished in 1981.  Now, only the top cupola (the roof decoration) survives of this once 125-room lodge.

Updated 9/4/2011