Back to Starthttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Henrico/HenricoTrekkershttp://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Intro/Intro.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0
 

Walkerton Tavern was built in 1825 by John Walker and served as a tavern for travelers along Mountain Road from 1828-1829.  Mountain Road was an important route between Richmond and western Virginia. The tavern had 10 rooms, a wine cellar, three ice houses, and a 20-horse stable for its guests.  It may have served as a field hospital for wounded Union troops after the Battle of Yellow Tavern in 1864.  It is the only surviving 19th-century brick tavern in Henrico County. It wasn’t a tavern for very long though.  Over the years it has served as a store, a post office, a place to vote, and most of the time, as a private residence (home).  Henrico County purchased it in 1995, and now it can be rented for weddings, receptions, and other events.

Updated 9/4/2011